Oat banana chocolate chip muffins are a delicious and healthy snack that is perfect for breakfast, a mid-day snack, or even as a dessert. These muffins are made with whole-grain oats, mashed ripe bananas, and chocolate chips. They are easy to make and are a great way to use up overripe bananas.
Ingredients for Oat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make oat banana chocolate chip muffins:
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk (any kind of milk will work)
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dark, milk or semi-sweet)
- Rolled oats
- Chocolate chips
Note: This recipe makes about 12 muffins. You can adjust the quantity of ingredients to make more or fewer muffins, depending on your needs.
Preparing the Muffin Batter
Here are the steps to prepare oat banana chocolate chip muffin batter:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with muffin liners or grease the muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until well combined.
- In another mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork. Add the eggs, Greek yogurt, milk, honey or maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Whisk the wet ingredients until smooth and well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, reserving some for topping the muffins, if desired.
- Using a large spoon or scoop, divide the muffin batter evenly among the muffin cups. The batter should fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way.
- Top each muffin with a few chocolate chips and a sprinkle of rolled oats, if desired.
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy your delicious and healthy oat banana chocolate chip muffins!
Mixing the Wet Ingredients
Sure, here are the steps to mix the wet ingredients for oat banana chocolate chip muffins:
- In a mixing bowl, mash two ripe bananas with a fork until they are smooth and creamy.
- Add two eggs to the mashed bananas and whisk them together until they are well combined.
- Add 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt to the mixing bowl and whisk it in with the banana and egg mixture until smooth.
- Pour 1/2 cup of milk (any kind of milk will work) into the mixing bowl and whisk it in until everything is well combined.
- Add 1/4 cup of honey or maple syrup to the mixing bowl and whisk it in until it is evenly distributed throughout the wet ingredients.
- Finally, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the mixing bowl and whisk everything together until you have a smooth and creamy mixture.
Mixing the Dry Ingredients
Certainly! Here are the steps to mix the dry ingredients for oat banana chocolate chip muffins:
- In a separate mixing bowl, add 2 cups of rolled oats.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the bowl with the rolled oats.
- Stir the dry ingredients together until they are well combined and the baking powder and baking soda are evenly distributed throughout the rolled oats.
- If desired, you can also add a handful of additional mix-ins to the dry ingredients, such as chopped nuts or dried fruit.
- Once the dry ingredients are mixed together, you can proceed with adding the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and making the oat banana chocolate chip muffin batter.
Variations on Oat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Absolutely! Here are some variations on oat banana chocolate chip muffins that you can try:
- Oatmeal Raisin Muffins: Instead of chocolate chips, add raisins to the muffin batter. You can also add a pinch of cinnamon for extra flavor.
- Nutty Muffins: Add chopped nuts such as walnuts or pecans to the batter for some crunch and extra protein.
- Blueberry Banana Muffins: Fold fresh or frozen blueberries into the muffin batter along with the mashed bananas for a burst of juicy flavor.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins: Add a tablespoon of peanut butter to the muffin batter along with the chocolate chips for a decadent treat.
- Coconut Banana Muffins: Add shredded coconut to the muffin batter along with the mashed bananas for a tropical twist.
- Lemon Poppyseed Muffins: Replace the chocolate chips with poppy seeds and add some lemon zest to the batter for a tangy twist.
- Pumpkin Banana Muffins: Add canned pumpkin to the muffin batter along with the mashed bananas for a delicious fall flavor.
Serving and Storing the Muffins
Certainly! Here’s how to serve and store oat banana chocolate chip muffins:
- Serving: Allow the muffins to cool on a wire rack for at least 10-15 minutes before serving. You can serve them warm or at room temperature with a glass of milk or your favorite beverage.
- Storing: Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-4 days. If you want to store them longer, you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
- Freezing: Allow the muffins to cool completely before freezing. Wrap each muffin individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and place them in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag. Label the container with the date and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thawing: To thaw the muffins, remove them from the freezer and let them come to room temperature on the counter for 1-2 hours. You can also thaw them in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute on the defrost setting.
- Reheating: To reheat the muffins, wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave them for 10-15 seconds. You can also reheat them in the oven at 350°F for 5-10 minutes, or until they are warm and toasty.