Strawberry Sugar Cookies are a delightful treat that perfectly capture the sweetness of summer. These cookies are soft, chewy, and bursting with the bright, fruity flavor of fresh strawberries. With their beautiful pink color and delicious taste, they are the perfect addition to any summer gathering or afternoon snack.
Ingredients: What you’ll need to make these cookies
To make these delicious Strawberry Sugar Cookies, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, pureed
Note: Be sure to use fresh, ripe strawberries for the best flavor. You can puree the strawberries in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Optional ingredients for decoration:
- Powdered sugar
- Strawberry glaze
With these ingredients, you will be able to make around 24-30 cookies, depending on the size and shape you choose.
Tools: Equipment and utensils required for baking
To make Strawberry Sugar Cookies, you will need the following tools and equipment:
- Mixing bowls (at least 2)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Baking sheet(s)
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- Cookie cutter(s) (optional)
- Cooling rack
Note: If you don’t have a whisk or electric mixer, you can use a fork or wooden spoon to mix the ingredients by hand. Additionally, if you don’t have a cookie cutter, you can shape the dough into rounds or use a glass to cut out circles.
Preparing the Dough: Steps for making the cookie dough
Here are the steps to prepare the dough for your Strawberry Sugar Cookies:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer or whisk to cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract to the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing on low speed until the dough forms and no flour remains.
- Add the pureed strawberries to the dough and mix until the dough is evenly pink in color and the strawberry flavor is fully incorporated.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Note: Chilling the dough is important to help it firm up and make it easier to handle when shaping the cookies.
Mixing the Ingredients: Tips for combining ingredients
Here are some tips for mixing the ingredients together when making Strawberry Sugar Cookies:
- Use room temperature butter: Make sure the butter is soft and at room temperature before starting. This will make it easier to cream together with the sugar and create a smooth, fluffy mixture.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients: When adding the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, add it gradually while mixing on low speed. This will prevent the flour from flying out of the bowl and ensure that all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Don’t overmix: Once the flour mixture is added to the wet ingredients, mix until the dough forms and no flour remains. Overmixing can make the cookies tough and dry.
- Add the pureed strawberries last: Once the dough has come together, add the pureed strawberries and mix until the dough is evenly pink in color and the strawberry flavor is fully incorporated.
- Chill the dough: After mixing the ingredients, chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight. This will help the dough firm up and make it easier to handle when shaping the cookies.
Adding the Strawberries: How to incorporate strawberries into the dough
To add strawberries to your Strawberry Sugar Cookies dough, follow these steps:
- Wash and hull the fresh strawberries, removing the stems and any leaves.
- Puree the strawberries in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Measure out the required amount of puree and set it aside.
- Follow the recipe instructions for making the cookie dough up until the point where the dry ingredients are added to the wet ingredients.
- When the dough has formed, add the pureed strawberries to the bowl and mix until the dough is evenly pink in color and the strawberry flavor is fully incorporated.
- If the dough becomes too soft or sticky, you can chill it in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to firm it up before shaping the cookies.
Note: Using fresh strawberries is important to get the best flavor and color for your cookies. If you don’t have fresh strawberries, you can use frozen strawberries that have been thawed and pureed. However, the texture and flavor of the cookies may be slightly different.
he cookies as they bake and remove them from the oven as soon as they’re cooked through.
Decorating the Cookies: Options for adding a finishing touch
There are many ways to decorate your Strawberry Sugar Cookies and give them a beautiful finishing touch. Here are some options to consider:
- Powdered sugar: Dust the tops of the cooled cookies with powdered sugar using a fine-mesh sieve. This will give them a delicate and elegant appearance.
- Icing: Make a simple icing by mixing powdered sugar, milk or cream, and vanilla extract. Drizzle the icing over the cooled cookies using a spoon or a piping bag.
- Sprinkles: Add a pop of color and texture to your cookies by sprinkling them with colorful sugar sprinkles, nonpareils, or sanding sugar.
- Royal icing: Create intricate designs by using royal icing to pipe decorations onto the cookies. Royal icing can be made by mixing powdered sugar, egg whites, and lemon juice or cream of tartar.
- Chocolate drizzle: Melt some chocolate chips or chocolate candy melts and drizzle the melted chocolate over the cooled cookies using a spoon or a piping bag.
Note: Be sure to let any added decorations dry completely before stacking or storing your cookies.
Storing the Cookies: How to keep your cookies fresh
To keep your Strawberry Sugar Cookies fresh and delicious for as long as possible, follow these storage tips:
- Cool the cookies completely: Allow the cookies to cool completely before storing them. Warm cookies can release moisture and become soggy when stored.
- Store in an airtight container: Transfer the cooled cookies to an airtight container, such as a cookie jar or a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid. This will help keep air and moisture out, which can cause the cookies to become stale.
- Room temperature storage: Store the cookies at room temperature for up to 3-4 days. If you live in a humid climate, it’s best to consume the cookies within 1-2 days to prevent them from becoming soft and sticky.
- Freeze for longer storage: If you want to store your cookies for longer, you can freeze them for up to 2-3 months. Place the cooled cookies in a freezer-safe container or a zip-top bag and store them in the freezer. Thaw the cookies at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Note: Avoid storing the cookies in the refrigerator, as the moisture in the fridge can cause the cookies to become stale and lose their texture. Also, be sure to separate layers of cookies with parchment paper to prevent them from sticking together.