Chicken Parmesan is an Italian-American dish that typically consists of breaded and fried chicken cutlets that are topped with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese. The dish is then baked until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Chicken Parmesan is usually served with pasta, such as spaghetti or fettuccine, but can also be served with a side of vegetables or a salad.
How to Prep the Chicken for Chicken Parmesan
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to prep the chicken for Chicken Parmesan:
- Begin by rinsing the chicken breasts under cold water and patting them dry with paper towels.
- Trim any excess fat or connective tissue from the chicken breasts using a sharp knife.
- Place each chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap or in a large ziplock bag, and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound the chicken to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch. This will help the chicken cook evenly.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together a few eggs with a splash of milk. In another shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs with grated Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Dip each chicken breast in the egg mixture, then coat it in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the breadcrumbs onto the chicken to help them adhere.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a generous amount of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the breaded chicken breasts to the skillet and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Once the chicken is browned on both sides, transfer it to a baking dish and top each piece with tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the chicken in the oven at 375°F (190°C) for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the chicken is fully cooked.
By following these steps, you can easily prep the chicken for Chicken Parmesan and create a delicious and satisfying meal.
How to Make Homemade Marinara Sauce for Chicken Parmesan
- 1 can (28 oz) of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and sauté for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper to the pan, stirring to combine.
- If desired, add a pinch of sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened and the flavors have melded together.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Once the sauce is ready, it’s time to use it to top the breaded and fried chicken for Chicken Parmesan.
By making your own marinara sauce, you can customize the flavor to your liking and create a truly delicious Chicken Parmesan dish.
Tips for Making the Best Chicken Parmesan
If you want to make the best Chicken Parmesan, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Choose high-quality ingredients: Use fresh chicken, good-quality breadcrumbs, and high-quality cheeses and marinara sauce. These ingredients will make a big difference in the overall flavor of the dish.
- Pound the chicken to an even thickness: Pound the chicken to an even thickness before breading and frying to ensure that it cooks evenly and doesn’t dry out.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan: When frying the chicken, don’t overcrowd the pan as this can cause the chicken to steam instead of fry, resulting in a soggy crust.
- Use enough oil: Make sure there is enough oil in the pan when frying the chicken to ensure a crispy and golden brown crust.
- Don’t overcook the chicken: Overcooking the chicken can make it dry and tough. Cook the chicken until it’s just done and no longer pink in the middle.
- Use fresh herbs: Using fresh herbs such as basil and parsley can add a lot of flavor to the dish.
- Let the Chicken Parmesan rest: After baking the Chicken Parmesan, let it rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the cheese to set and prevents the sauce from being too runny.
By following these tips, you can make the best Chicken Parmesan possible and impress your guests with a delicious and flavorful meal.
How to Store and Reheat Chicken Parmesan
Storing and reheating Chicken Parmesan properly is important to ensure that it stays fresh and flavorful. Here’s how to do it:
- Let the Chicken Parmesan cool to room temperature before storing.
- Store the Chicken Parmesan in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.