Creating a delectable homemade gluten-free lasagna is simpler than you may think! With the availability of gluten-free oven-ready lasagna noodles in local supermarkets, savoring lasagna is a breeze.
I particularly favour the Barilla brand for gluten-free lasagna noodles. You’ll only need one box of these noodles to assemble a 9-inch by 13-inch lasagna.
Additionally, I’ve successfully crafted a dairy-free rendition of my gluten-free lasagna that my entire family relishes! I assure you, in the dairy-free version of my gluten-free lasagna recipe, you won’t even notice the absence of regular cheese. It retains the creamy, cheesy essence of classic lasagna, minus any unusual ingredients.
Ingredients in Gluten-Free Lasagna
- Gluten-Free Oven-Ready Lasagna Noodles: I have a preference for Barilla gluten-free lasagna noodles.
- Gluten-Free Spaghetti Sauce: Finding gluten-free spaghetti sauce is a breeze, as it’s readily available at all grocery stores. My preferred gluten-free pasta sauce brands are Barilla and Prego.
- Ground Beef: I favour using lean ground beef. You can also incorporate ground sausage, just ensure it’s gluten-free as well. Ground turkey is also a viable substitute.
- Ricotta Cheese: This creamy cheese plays a vital role in the layering process of making lasagna. It is an essential ingredient. For the dairy-free option, you can use gluten-free roasted garlic hummus.
- Frozen Spinach: The spinach not only imparts flavour but also contributes to the texture of the lasagna.
- Parmesan Cheese: It imparts a distinctive savoury and salty flavour to the lasagna.
- Mozzarella Cheese: It introduces another layer of melty cheese to the lasagna.
- Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Italian Seasoning: These seasonings constitute the classic blend used in Italian recipes.
How To Make Gluten-Free Lasagna
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease a 9-inch x 13-inch baking pan with gluten-free cooking spray.
- Coat a large skillet with gluten-free cooking spray. Add the beef and season with salt. Cook over medium-high heat until it begins to brown. Incorporate the onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning, stirring until thoroughly combined. Continue cooking until the meat is no longer pink. Drain any excess fat.
- Mix in the gluten-free pasta sauce and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Prepare the chopped spinach following the instructions on the bag. Allow it to cool, then squeeze out and drain any excess water.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped spinach, ricotta cheese (for a dairy-free option, use hummus instead of ricotta), and parmesan cheese (for a dairy-free version, omit this ingredient). Mix until well blended.
- Pour 1 cup of the meat sauce onto the bottom of the greased baking dish and spread it evenly. Arrange four sheets of lasagna side by side, allowing them to slightly overlap. Top the lasagna sheets with 1 cup of sauce. Spread ¼ of the ricotta mixture (or hummus mixture) over the sauce, then add ¼ of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat this process for three more layers. For the final lasagna sheet, apply the meat sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Spray a piece of aluminum foil with gluten-free cooking spray. Cover the pan with the greased foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the top is browned and bubbly. If the lasagna noodles puff up after baking for 40 minutes, use a knife to poke a few holes in the top and flatten with a spatula. Sprinkle additional cheese on top and bake for the final 20 minutes.
- Allow the lasagna to rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
Can Gluten-Free Lasagna Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Yes, gluten-free lasagna can be made ahead of time. Prepare the lasagna according to recipe directions, and cover with foil sprayed with gluten-free cooking spray, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When ready to serve, bake the lasagna for 50 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Allow the lasagna to rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Can You Freeze Gluten-Free Lasagna?
Yes, you can freeze gluten-free lasagna. After assembling the lasagna, cover it tightly with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. Label it with the date and contents. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to use, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before baking according to the recipe instructions.
How to Store
To store gluten-free lasagna, allow it to cool to room temperature. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place it in the refrigerator and it will keep for up to 3 days. If you want to store it for a longer period, you can freeze it following the instructions provided earlier.
Tips For Making The Best Gluten-Free Lasagna
- Use “oven ready” or “no bake” gluten-free lasagna noodles so there is no need to pre-cook them.
- I use olive oil cooking spray to grease my baking dish.
- I also spray the foil to keep it from sticking to the top cheese layer.
- Make sure to squeeze and drain the excess water out of the cooked chopped spinach.
- Ground turkey can be used in place of the ground beef.
- Cottage cheese can be used in place of the ricotta cheese.
- If you don’t have Italian Seasoning, make your own: 2 teaspoons dried basil, 2 ½ teaspoons dried oregano, ½ teaspoon dried sage, ½ teaspoon dried thyme, ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram, ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary.
- Make sure to cover the lasagna pasta sheets completely with pasta sauce.
- If the lasagna noodles are puffing up after baking for 40 minutes, take a knife and poke a few holes in the top and flatten with a spatula. Sprinkle more cheese over the top and bake for the final 20 minutes.
- You can always use more cheese on top and broil the top for a few minutes to get it nice, browned, and bubbly.
Why You’ll Love These Recipe
These recipes are not only delicious, but they also cater to those with gluten-free dietary needs. They provide a tasty and satisfying option for those looking to enjoy classic dishes without compromising on flavour or texture. Whether it’s the creamy, cheesy goodness of lasagna or the comforting taste of pumpkin pie, these recipes are sure to be a hit with everyone at the table. So go ahead and indulge in these gluten-free delights!