Funfetti cake is a fun and colorful dessert that’s perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, a baby shower, or just want a sweet treat, Funfetti cake is sure to please. While you can easily buy a boxed mix at the store, there’s something special about making it from scratch.
Ingredients needed for Funfetti Cake
Sure, here are the ingredients you’ll need to make a Funfetti cake:
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
These ingredients will make a basic Funfetti cake. You can also add other ingredients like food coloring, different types of sprinkles, or frosting to customize your cake.
Preparing the cake pans
Sure, here are the steps to prepare the cake pans for your Funfetti cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with butter or cooking spray.
- Line the bottom of each pan with parchment paper.
- Grease the parchment paper as well.
- Lightly flour the pans, tapping out any excess flour.
- Set the pans aside and move on to preparing the cake batter.
Mixing the cake batter
Sure, here are the steps to mix the cake batter for your Funfetti cake:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy and smooth.
- Add in the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix on low speed until just combined after each addition. Be careful not to overmix, as this can lead to a tough cake.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula, gently fold the beaten egg whites into the cake batter until well combined.
- Gently fold in the rainbow sprinkles until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the prepared cake pans.
- Tap the pans lightly on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing them from the pans and placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.
Adding the sprinkles
Sure, here are the steps to add the sprinkles to your Funfetti cake batter:
- Once you have mixed your cake batter according to the recipe, you can add the sprinkles.
- Add about 1/4 cup of rainbow sprinkles to the batter and gently fold them in with a spatula.
- If you want more or less sprinkles, you can adjust the amount to your liking.
- Be careful not to overmix the batter once you have added the sprinkles, as this can cause the colors to bleed and the cake to become tough.
- Once the sprinkles are evenly distributed throughout the batter, you can pour it into your prepared cake pans and bake as directed.