Cracker Barrel Biscuits are a popular Southern-style comfort food served at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store restaurants. These biscuits are freshly baked, fluffy, and buttery with a light golden-brown crust and a tender interior. Served warm, they are enjoyed as a side or accompaniment to various dishes. Made from simple ingredients like flour, butter, buttermilk, and baking powder, they have become an iconic favorite among patrons and are often sought after for their delicious taste. Various copycat recipes exist for those who want to replicate the Cracker Barrel Biscuit experience at home.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (if unavailable, you can use regular milk with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice added)
- Additional melted butter for brushing on top (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C). Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or lightly greasing it.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- Add the cubed cold butter to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter, two knives, or your fingers to work the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. The butter should be evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the buttermilk. Gently stir with a fork or spatula until the dough starts to come together. Be careful not to overmix; you want the dough to be just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it a few times, just until it forms a cohesive ball.
- Pat the dough out to a thickness of about 3/4 inch (2 cm). Use a biscuit cutter or a drinking glass to cut out biscuits. Dip the cutter in flour before each cut to prevent sticking.
- Place the cut biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving a little space between each one.
- If you prefer soft-sided biscuits, arrange them on the baking sheet with the sides touching. For crispy biscuits, leave some space between them.
- Optionally, brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter for a golden finish.
- Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until they are light golden brown on top.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
Tips for Making Cracker Barrel Biscuits
Sure! Here are some tips for making delicious Cracker Barrel-style biscuits at home:
- Cold Butter: Use cold unsalted butter and cut it into small cubes. Keeping the butter cold helps create a flaky texture in the biscuits.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk adds a tangy flavor and tenderizes the dough. If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make a substitute by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to 3/4 cup of regular milk.
- Don’t Overmix: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, mix the dough gently and only until it comes together. Overmixing can result in tough biscuits.
- Knead Lightly: When kneading the dough on a floured surface, do it lightly and only a few times to bring the dough together. Over-kneading can make the biscuits dense.
- Proper Thickness: Roll or pat the dough to a thickness of about 3/4 inch (2 cm) for tall and fluffy biscuits. Thinner biscuits may become too dense.
- Cutting the Biscuits: Use a sharp biscuit cutter or a drinking glass dipped in flour to cut out the biscuits. Press straight down without twisting to get clean edges.
- Biscuit Placement: For soft-sided biscuits, place them on the baking sheet with the sides touching. If you prefer crispy sides, leave some space between each biscuit.
- Preheated Oven: Make sure your oven is fully preheated to 450°F (230°C) before baking the biscuits. A hot oven helps them rise properly.
- Butter Brushing: For a golden finish, brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter before baking or right after they come out of the oven.
- Timing: Biscuits can quickly go from perfectly baked to overdone. Keep an eye on them and remove them from the oven when they turn light golden brown on top.
- Resting Time: Allow the biscuits to cool for a few minutes before serving. This helps set the texture and avoids steam burns.
What To Serve With Cracker Barrel Biscuits
Cracker Barrel Biscuits are versatile and can be served with a variety of dishes, depending on your preferences and mealtime. Here are some delicious options for serving with Cracker Barrel Biscuits:
- Butter and Jam: A classic and simple way to enjoy biscuits is by serving them with butter and your favorite jam or preserves. The warm, fluffy biscuits are perfect for spreading the butter and jam, creating a delightful sweet and savory combination.
- Gravy: Biscuits and gravy are a quintessential Southern comfort food. Serve the biscuits with creamy sausage gravy or country-style gravy for a hearty and satisfying meal, commonly enjoyed for breakfast or brunch.
- Fried Chicken: Biscuits and fried chicken make an excellent combination for a classic Southern meal. The buttery biscuits complement the crispy and flavorful chicken, creating a delicious and comforting duo.
- Country Ham: Sliced country ham pairs wonderfully with biscuits. Add a touch of mustard or honey for extra flavor.
- Eggs: Biscuits can be a great accompaniment to eggs in various forms, such as scrambled eggs, poached eggs, or sunny-side-up eggs. Enjoy them as part of a tasty breakfast or brunch.
- Honey: Drizzle some honey over warm biscuits for a simple yet delightful treat. The sweetness of honey enhances the biscuit’s buttery flavor.
- Pulled Pork or Barbecue: Use the biscuits to make sliders with pulled pork or barbecue meat for a tasty and portable meal.
- Fried Catfish: In the Southern tradition, serving biscuits alongside fried catfish makes for a flavorful and comforting meal.
- Collard Greens: Pair biscuits with some traditional Southern collard greens for a soulful and satisfying meal.
- Southern-Style Vegetables: Serve biscuits alongside a medley of Southern-style vegetables like black-eyed peas, okra, or corn on the cob for a well-rounded meal.
- Soup or Stew: Biscuits can be a delicious accompaniment to soups and stews, as they are perfect for soaking up the flavorful broth.
- Fruit Compote: Top biscuits with a fruit compote or fruit salad for a fresh and sweet twist.
FAQ cracker barrel biscuits
Are Cracker Barrel Biscuits made from scratch? Yes, Cracker Barrel Biscuits are made from scratch using simple ingredients like flour, butter, buttermilk, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Are Cracker Barrel Biscuits served all day? Yes, Cracker Barrel serves their biscuits all day. They are available during breakfast, lunch, and dinner service.
- Can I buy Cracker Barrel Biscuits to take home? Cracker Barrel offers a takeout menu, but whether they sell their biscuits for take-home purchase may vary by location. It’s best to check with your local Cracker Barrel to see if they offer this option.
- Are Cracker Barrel Biscuits vegetarian? Yes, Cracker Barrel Biscuits are typically vegetarian-friendly as they do not contain any meat products. However, it’s always a good idea to double-check with the restaurant if you have specific dietary concerns.
- Can I order Cracker Barrel Biscuits online for delivery? As policies and services may change, it’s best to visit Cracker Barrel’s official website or use their mobile app to check if they offer online ordering and delivery options.
- Can I request extra butter or jam with my biscuits? Yes, you can usually request extra butter, jam, or other condiments to accompany your biscuits at Cracker Barrel. The restaurant aims to accommodate customer preferences when possible.
- Do Cracker Barrel Biscuits contain eggs or dairy? Cracker Barrel Biscuits typically contain dairy in the form of butter and buttermilk, but they do not contain eggs.
- Can I get gluten-free biscuits at Cracker Barrel? Cracker Barrel’s menu may not include gluten-free biscuits as a regular option. However, some locations may offer gluten-free alternatives or substitutions upon request. It’s advisable to inquire with the staff about gluten-free options.
- How many biscuits come in a typical Cracker Barrel meal? The number of biscuits served in a meal at Cracker Barrel can vary depending on the specific dish ordered. Usually, meals come with one or two biscuits, but this may differ based on the menu item.
- Are Cracker Barrel Biscuits suitable for vegans? Cracker Barrel Biscuits are not typically vegan-friendly due to the use of dairy products. Vegans may need to explore alternative options or inquire about customizing dishes to fit their dietary preferences.