Indulge in the perfect marriage of rich cocoa and sweet, ripe bananas with our delightful Chocolate Banana Bread recipe. This moist and decadent loaf is a heavenly treat for any occasion, whether enjoyed as a breakfast indulgence or a delightful dessert. The combination of velvety chocolate and the natural sweetness of bananas creates a symphony of flavours that will leave your taste buds dancing. Join us as we embark on a journey to create this delectable masterpiece, guaranteed to become a household favourite. Let’s dive into the world of Chocolate Banana Bread and uncover the secrets to its irresistible allure!
How To Make This Recipe
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 150g (2/3 cup) granulated sugar
- 75g (1/3 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 175g (1 1/3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 25g (1/4 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 100g (2/3 cup) chocolate chips (optional)
- Butter or oil for greasing the loaf tin
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C for fan ovens), and grease a 9×5 inch loaf tin.
- Mash the Bananas:
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork until smooth.
- Add Wet Ingredients:
- Add the granulated sugar, melted butter, egg, and vanilla extract to the mashed bananas. Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Sift Dry Ingredients:
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. This ensures there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients:
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, stirring gently until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Optional: Add Chocolate Chips:
- If you want an extra burst of chocolate, fold in the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Transfer to Loaf Tin:
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf tin, spreading it out evenly.
- Place the loaf tin in the preheated oven and bake for about 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean (with a few moist crumbs).
- Allow the Chocolate Banana Bread to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and Serve:
- Once cooled, slice and serve. It can be enjoyed as is or with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra treat.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Indulge in the rich, chocolatey goodness of your freshly baked Chocolate Banana Bread.
Tips Of Recipe
- Use Ripe Bananas: Ensure your bananas are ripe with brown spots. They are sweeter and easier to mash, adding natural sweetness to the bread.
- Mash Thoroughly: Mash the bananas until no large lumps remain. This will give the bread a smoother texture.
- Adjust Sugar to Taste: Depending on the sweetness of your bananas, you can slightly adjust the amount of sugar for your desired level of sweetness.
- Properly Measure Flour: Spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level it off with a knife. This prevents over-packing and ensures accurate measurements.
- Sift Dry Ingredients: Sifting the cocoa powder and other dry ingredients helps prevent lumps and ensures even distribution.
- Don’t Overmix: Mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Overmixing can result in a tough and dense bread.
- Add Chocolate Chips: For an extra chocolatey kick, fold in chocolate chips. They’ll melt slightly during baking, creating pockets of gooey goodness.
- Grease the Tin Well: Ensure the loaf tin is properly greased or lined with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Test for Doneness: Use a toothpick inserted into the centre of the bread. It should come out with a few moist crumbs but not wet batter.
- Cool Before Slicing: Let the bread cool in the tin for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. This helps prevent it from falling apart.
- Store Properly: To keep it fresh, store the Chocolate Banana Bread in an airtight container. If it lasts that long!
- Customise Flavours: Experiment with additional ingredients like nuts, coconut flakes, or a swirl of peanut butter for your unique twist.
- Serve with a Twist: Elevate the experience by serving with a dusting of icing sugar, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, or a scoop of ice cream.
- Freeze for Later: If you have leftovers, you can freeze slices in an airtight container for up to three months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Can I use frozen bananas for this recipe? Yes, you can use thawed frozen bananas. Just make sure to drain any excess liquid before mashing.
Q2: Can I substitute butter with a different fat? Yes, you can use melted coconut oil or a dairy-free butter substitute for a lactose-free version.
Q3: How do I know if the bread is done baking? Insert a toothpick into the centre of the bread. It should come out with a few moist crumbs, but not wet batter.
Q4: Can I make this recipe gluten-free? Certainly, you can use a gluten-free flour blend. Make sure it’s a 1:1 substitute for all-purpose flour.
Q5: Can I add nuts or other mix-ins? Absolutely! Chopped nuts, chocolate chunks, or dried fruit can be folded into the batter for added texture and flavour.
Q6: How should I store Chocolate Banana Bread? Store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Q7: Can I freeze Chocolate Banana Bread? Yes, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then foil before freezing. It can be stored for up to three months.
Q8: Can I make this recipe vegan? Certainly, use a flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water) instead of a regular egg, and choose a vegan butter substitute.
Q9: Can I make muffins instead of a loaf? Yes, simply divide the batter into muffin tins and adjust the baking time to about 20-25 minutes.
Q10: Can I add frosting on top? Absolutely! A simple chocolate glaze or cream cheese frosting can be a delicious addition for special occasions.
- Calories: 230 kcal
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 19g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Sodium: 180mg
- Potassium: 260mg
- Vitamin A: 6% DV
- Vitamin C: 4% DV
- Calcium: 2% DV
- Iron: 8% DV
- Fresh Berries: Serve with a handful of fresh berries like strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries for a burst of colour and flavour.
- Whipped Cream: A dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream adds a creamy contrast to the rich flavours of the bread.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Warm slices of Chocolate Banana Bread paired with a scoop of vanilla ice cream create a delightful dessert.
- Nut Butter Spread: Spread a layer of almond or peanut butter on top for an extra layer of nutty goodness.
- Honey Drizzle: A drizzle of honey or maple syrup over each slice enhances the sweetness and adds a glossy finish.
- Coffee or Tea: Enjoy with a cup of freshly brewed coffee or a pot of your favourite tea for a comforting treat.
- Chocolate Sauce: A generous drizzle of warm chocolate sauce takes the indulgence to the next level.
- Nuts and Seeds: Sprinkle with chopped nuts or seeds for added texture and a touch of crunch.
- Yogurt Parfait: Serve with a side of Greek yogurt, a sprinkle of granola, and a drizzle of honey for a wholesome breakfast.
- Cinnamon Butter: Spread slices with a mixture of softened butter and cinnamon for a delightful twist.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Frost the bread with a luscious cream cheese frosting for a decadent dessert option.
- Chocolate Shavings: Top each slice with delicate chocolate shavings for an elegant touch.