These carrot cake muffins are absolutely delightful, with a perfect balance of sweetness, fluffiness, and deliciousness! They are made using a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour, along with shredded carrots, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, a hint of nutmeg, and brown sugar. These pancakes are truly the best! What makes them even better is that they can easily be adapted to a vegetarian diet and can be prepared ahead of time. Whether you’re looking for a healthy breakfast option for everyday or planning a special weekend brunch, these pancakes fit the bill perfectly.
As Easter approaches, my mind is buzzing with ideas inspired by the spring season and the holiday itself. These carrot cake pancakes have become a favorite for my weekend brunches with family and friends. Moreover, I often prepare them in advance for quick, effortless, and nutritious breakfasts throughout the week.
These pancakes are not only sweet, fluffy, and delicious, but they are also incredibly healthy, making them a fantastic choice for the entire family. My kids absolutely adore them (I even make a vegan version to accommodate my child with a dairy allergy), and they are a breeze to make. Plus, they offer a fantastic way to incorporate more veggies into our meals! If you’re searching for a wholesome and spring-inspired breakfast idea, you’ll fall in love with these scrumptious carrot cake pancakes!
Some of you may not know but I had a breakfast catering business in San Francisco where I would make these ridiculous, over-the-top breakfasts. A lot of Bigger Bolder Baking recipes were inspired from that time, like my Red Velvet Cake Recipe and Homemade Strawberry Syrup and of course these Carrot Cake Pancakes.
To make carrot cake pancakes, you will need the following ingredients:
- Carrots: 1 cup of grated carrots will add moisture and natural sweetness to the pancakes. If you don’t have carrots on hand, you can substitute with grated zucchini or sweet potatoes.
- All-Purpose Flour: 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour serves as the base for the pancake batter. If desired, you can use whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend as a substitute.
- Brown Sugar: ¼ cup of brown sugar adds a rich sweetness to the pancakes. You can replace it with an equal amount of granulated sugar or a sugar substitute like stevia or monk fruit sweetener.
- Baking Powder: 2 teaspoons of baking powder helps the pancakes rise and become light and fluffy. Ensure that your baking powder is fresh to achieve optimal results.
- Cinnamon and Nutmeg: 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg provide the warm, aromatic flavors reminiscent of carrot cake. Adjust the spices according to your personal preference.
- Salt: ¼ teaspoon of salt enhances the overall flavor of the pancakes. Feel free to adjust the amount to suit your taste.
- Milk: 1 ¼ cups of milk (dairy or non-dairy) adds moisture to the batter. You can use almond milk, soy milk, or any other milk alternative if desired.
- Eggs: 2 large eggs bind the ingredients together and contribute to the fluffy texture of the pancakes. If you follow a vegan diet, you can substitute each egg with a flax or chia egg.
- Vanilla Extract: 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract enhances the flavor profile of the pancakes. Make sure to use pure vanilla extract for the best taste.
- Vegetable Oil: 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil or melted butter add moisture to the batter and prevent sticking. You can substitute with coconut oil or any other neutral-tasting oil.
- Cream Cheese Glaze: Mix softened cream cheese with powdered sugar and a splash of milk until smooth, then drizzle over the pancakes.
- Chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, for added crunch and texture.
- Maple syrup or honey for extra sweetness.
These ingredients will help you create delicious carrot cake pancakes, and the optional toppings can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Enjoy your breakfast delight!
How to Make Carrot Cake Pancakes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour, ¼ cup of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Whisk the dry ingredients together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat 2 large eggs. Add 1 ¼ cups of milk, 1 cup of grated carrots, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Stir the wet ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir gently until the batter is just combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this can result in dense pancakes.
- Preheat a non-stick griddle or a large skillet over medium heat. If needed, lightly grease the cooking surface with butter or oil.
- Once the griddle is hot, scoop about ¼ cup of batter onto the cooking surface for each pancake. Use the back of a spoon or a spatula to spread the batter into a circular shape.
- Cook the pancakes for about 2-3 minutes on the first side, or until bubbles start to form on the surface. Flip the pancakes and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on the other side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer the cooked pancakes to a plate and cover with a clean kitchen towel to keep them warm while you cook the remaining batter. Repeat the process with the remaining batter, adjusting the heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Once all the pancakes are cooked, serve them warm with your choice of toppings. You can drizzle them with a cream cheese glaze, sprinkle with chopped nuts, and/or drizzle with maple syrup or honey.
- Enjoy your homemade carrot cake pancakes as a delicious and flavorful breakfast treat!
Note: Feel free to adjust the spices and sweetness according to your preference. You can also add raisins or shredded coconut to the batter for added texture and flavor if desired.