Strawberry cake is a delightful dessert that’s loved by many. Its history dates back to ancient Rome, where strawberries were enjoyed for their medicinal properties.
Ingredients for Strawberry Cake: What You’ll Need
To make a delicious strawberry cake, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Fresh strawberries: You’ll need about 2 cups of fresh strawberries for the cake batter and additional strawberries for decorating the cake, if desired.
- All-purpose flour: 2 ½ cups of flour will be enough to create a fluffy and tender cake.
- Baking powder: 2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder will help the cake rise and become light and fluffy.
- Salt: A pinch of salt will help balance out the sweetness of the cake and enhance the flavor.
- Unsalted butter: 1 cup of butter should be used for a rich and buttery cake.
- Granulated sugar: 1 ¾ cups of sugar will provide the cake with its sweetness.
- Eggs: 4 large eggs will add structure and texture to the cake.
- Vanilla extract: 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract will enhance the flavor of the cake.
- Milk: 1 cup of milk will create a moist and tender crumb in the cake.
- Optional: Whipped cream, cream cheese frosting, or strawberry glaze can be added for extra flavor and decoration.
With these ingredients on hand, you’ll be well on your way to making a scrumptious strawberry cake that’s sure to impress.
Step-by-Step Guide to Making the Perfect Strawberry Cake
Here is a step-by-step guide to making the perfect strawberry cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and prepare two 9-inch cake pans by greasing and flouring them.
- Wash, hull, and dice the fresh strawberries, then set them aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, alternating with the milk, and mix until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- Fold in the diced strawberries, being careful not to overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake the cakes for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Once cooled, layer the cakes with whipped cream, cream cheese frosting, or strawberry glaze, if desired.
- Optional: Garnish the cake with fresh strawberries and enjoy!
With these simple steps, you’ll have a delicious strawberry cake that’s perfect for any occasion.
Decorating the Cake: Ideas and Inspiration
When it comes to decorating a strawberry cake, there are many options to choose from. Here are some ideas and inspiration to help you create a beautiful and delicious cake:
- Fresh strawberries: One of the simplest and most beautiful ways to decorate a strawberry cake is by adding fresh strawberries on top. You can slice them, dice them, or arrange them whole on the cake for a beautiful and colorful finish.
- Whipped cream: A layer of whipped cream can be spread over the cake, topped with fresh strawberries and a sprinkle of powdered sugar for a classic and elegant look.
- Cream cheese frosting: A rich and creamy cream cheese frosting can be used to frost the cake, then topped with fresh strawberries and a drizzle of strawberry glaze for a decadent and delicious finish.
- Strawberry glaze: A sweet and shiny strawberry glaze can be drizzled over the cake for a beautiful and glossy finish.
- Chocolate ganache: For a decadent and indulgent cake, you can top it with a rich and silky chocolate ganache and fresh strawberries.
- Edible flowers: Adding edible flowers, such as pansies or violets, to the top of the cake can create a beautiful and whimsical look.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Feel free to get creative and experiment with different flavors, colors, and textures to create a strawberry cake that’s uniquely yours.
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIP
- Use fresh strawberries: Fresh strawberries will give your cake the best flavor and texture. Choose ripe, sweet berries and wash them well before using.
- Use cake flour: Cake flour has a lower protein content than all-purpose flour, which will give your cake a softer, more tender texture. If you can’t find cake flour, you can make your own by mixing 1 cup of all-purpose flour with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
- Don’t overmix the batter: Overmixing the batter can lead to a tough, dense cake. Mix until the ingredients are just combined, and don’t worry if there are a few lumps.
- Use room temperature ingredients: Using room temperature ingredients will help them blend together more easily and evenly. Take your eggs, butter, and milk out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you start baking.
- Use parchment paper: Line your cake pans with parchment paper to prevent sticking and ensure that your cake layers come out cleanly.
- Let the cake cool completely: Let the cake cool completely before frosting or decorating it. This will prevent the frosting from melting and sliding off the cake.
- Use a serrated knife: Use a serrated knife to level off the top of the cake layers and create a flat surface for frosting.
- Chill the cake: If you’re planning to decorate the cake with fresh strawberries or whipped cream, chill the cake in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before decorating. This will help the frosting and toppings adhere better.
- Experiment with toppings: Try experimenting with different toppings for your strawberry cake, such as fresh whipped cream, strawberry glaze, or chocolate ganache.
Where to Buy Freeze-Dried Strawberries:
You can buy freeze-dried strawberries at many grocery stores, health food stores, and online retailers. Here are some places you might be able to find them:
- Grocery stores: Some grocery stores carry freeze-dried strawberries in the snack aisle or the baking aisle. Look for brands like Just Strawberries, Crunchies, or Natierra.
- Health food stores: Health food stores like Whole Foods, Sprouts, or Natural Grocers often carry freeze-dried fruits, including strawberries.
- Online retailers: You can also find freeze-dried strawberries on online retailers like Amazon, Walmart, or Target. Just search for “freeze-dried strawberries” and you’ll find many options.
- Specialty food stores: Some specialty food stores may also carry freeze-dried strawberries. Check with your local store to see if they carry them.