Indulge in the comforting embrace of autumn with our delectable Cinnamon Swirl Apple Bread. This delightful creation marries the sweet, crisp notes of seasonal apples with the warm, aromatic allure of cinnamon. As you slice through the tender crumb, the tantalising swirl of cinnamon and sugar unfolds, offering a symphony of flavours and textures. Whether enjoyed with a morning cuppa or as a cosy evening treat, each bite evokes the essence of a countryside orchard. Join us on a journey of taste and tradition with this quintessentially British bread, a true embodiment of autumn’s bounty.
How To Make This Recipe
- 225g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 115g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml sour cream
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
For the Cinnamon Swirl:
- 50g granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C fan). Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Prepare Dry Ingredients:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Set aside.
- Cream Butter and Sugar:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add Eggs and Vanilla:
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, ensuring each egg is well incorporated before adding the next. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Incorporate Dry Ingredients:
- Gradually add the dry flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Add Sour Cream:
- Gently fold in the sour cream until the batter is smooth.
- Fold in Chopped Apples:
- Carefully fold in the chopped apples until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Prepare Cinnamon Swirl Mixture:
- In a small bowl, mix together the granulated sugar and ground cinnamon for the swirl.
- Layer Batter and Cinnamon Swirl:
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon swirl mixture over the batter. Repeat with the remaining batter and cinnamon swirl.
- Create Swirls:
- Use a knife to create swirls by gently running it through the batter.
- Place the loaf pan in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool and Serve:
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and Enjoy:
- Once completely cooled, slice and enjoy your delicious Cinnamon Swirl Apple Bread!
Tips Of Recipe
- Choose the Right Apples: Opt for firm, tart apples like Granny Smith or Braeburn for the best flavour and texture in the bread.
- Dice Apples Uniformly: Ensure that the apples are finely chopped and evenly distributed in the batter for a balanced flavour in every bite.
- Use Room Temperature Ingredients: Having butter, eggs, and sour cream at room temperature ensures smooth mixing and a more even texture in the bread.
- Don’t Overmix the Batter: Mix until the ingredients are just combined. Overmixing can result in a tougher texture.
- Layer the Batter and Swirl Mix Carefully: Alternate layers of batter and cinnamon swirl mix to achieve a beautiful, marbled effect. Use a knife to create swirls.
- Avoid Overbaking: Check for doneness with a toothpick or skewer. It should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but not wet batter.
- Let it Cool: Allow the bread to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack. This helps prevent it from sticking to the pan.
- Wrap and Store Properly: Once cooled, wrap the bread in plastic wrap or foil to maintain its moisture. It can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Experiment with Spices: Feel free to customise the spice blend. Add a pinch of cloves or ginger for extra warmth, if desired.
- Serve with a Dusting of Powdered Sugar: A light dusting of powdered sugar just before serving adds a delightful finishing touch.
- Pair with Tea or Coffee: This bread pairs wonderfully with a cup of English breakfast tea or a hot cappuccino.
- Variation: Add Nuts or Raisins: If you like, you can fold in chopped nuts or raisins for added texture and flavour.
- Glaze Option: For an extra touch of sweetness, consider drizzling a simple glaze made from icing sugar and a splash of milk over the cooled bread.
Remember, practice makes perfect! Enjoy making and savouring your Cinnamon Swirl Apple Bread. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Happy baking!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Can I use a different type of apple for this recipe?
A1: Yes, you can experiment with different varieties of apples. However, for best results, choose apples that are firm and have a good balance of tartness and sweetness.
Q2: Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
A2: Yes, you can substitute whole wheat flour for a portion of the all-purpose flour. Keep in mind that the texture and flavour may be slightly different.
Q3: Can I freeze this bread?
A3: Yes, you can freeze Cinnamon Swirl Apple Bread. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil before placing it in an airtight container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Q4: Can I make this recipe without sour cream?
A4: If you don’t have sour cream, you can substitute it with Greek yogurt or plain yogurt for a similar texture and moisture content.
Q5: How can I tell if the bread is done baking?
A5: Insert a toothpick or skewer into the centre of the bread. It should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs clinging to it, but not wet batter.
Q6: Can I add nuts or raisins to the batter?
A6: Yes, you can fold in chopped nuts or raisins for added texture and flavour. About 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped nuts or raisins should work well.
Q7: Can I reduce the sugar in this recipe?
A7: You can slightly reduce the sugar if you prefer a less sweet bread. Keep in mind that it may alter the texture and flavour slightly.
Q8: Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
A8: Yes, you can use a gluten-free flour blend as a substitute for the all-purpose flour to make this recipe gluten-free.
Serving Size: 1 slice (approx. 60g)
|Nutrient||Amount per Serving|
|– Saturated Fat||5g|
|– Dietary Fiber||1g|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- Classic Buttered Slice: Enjoy a warm slice of Cinnamon Swirl Apple Bread with a generous spread of creamy butter for a simple and comforting treat.
- Cream Cheese Spread: Spread a layer of tangy cream cheese on top of each slice for a delightful contrast to the sweetness of the bread.
- Honey Drizzle: Drizzle a bit of honey over each slice for an extra touch of natural sweetness and a hint of floral flavour.
- Serve with Tea or Coffee: Pair a slice with your favourite cup of English breakfast tea or a freshly brewed coffee for a relaxing and enjoyable snack.
- Caramel Sauce and Pecans: Drizzle warm caramel sauce and sprinkle chopped pecans over the bread for an indulgent dessert-like experience.
- Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae: Serve a slice as the base of an apple bread sundae, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Yogurt and Fresh Berries: Top each slice with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a handful of fresh berries for a light and refreshing breakfast option.
- Apple Compote: Simmer sliced apples with a bit of sugar and cinnamon to create a warm apple compote to spoon over the bread.
- Cheddar Cheese Pairing: Serve alongside a slice of sharp cheddar cheese for a delightful combination of sweet and savoury flavours.
- French Toast: Use slices of Cinnamon Swirl Apple Bread to make a delicious French toast. Dip in an egg mixture, fry, and serve with maple syrup.
- Almond Butter and Banana: Spread almond butter on a slice and add banana slices for a nutritious and satisfying snack.
- Toast and Serve with Clotted Cream: Toast the bread and serve with a dollop of clotted cream for a British twist on a classic treat.